Saturday, July 07, 2007

A photo in heaven

It's hard to know what is the "right" thing to do, especially where death is concerned. I arrived at the Funeral home Thursday July 5 with photos of my children and my grandmother. I guess I should say my living chidren. I did not know what to do regarding Solomon.

My grandmother was at my side through my ordeal losing Solomon, and would hold my hand for months to come whenever we were together. She never spoke of him, taking the lead from me.

I called my husband and asked him to bring a photo of Solomon for my grandmother's coffin. I did not have the photo displayed with the other photos of her great-grandchildren - it would have been too much for me to explain to those who came to comfort us. His picture was in an envelope with instructions to place it with my grandmother when the casket was sealed. And that's what happened.

2 comments:

long35acre said...

That was a great thing for you to do. I saw my grandma just a few days before she died (she was doing poorly then) and I had a conversation with her and asked her to look for Ian when she left us.

Great! Now I'm crying at work. THey already think I'm a nut case.

Hugs......

And PS - It's great to see you here. I have been out of touch with things lately.

Mrs. Collins said...

I think that was a beautiful thing to do.